Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Halloween Treats!

I was called out by my 7 year old for being a hypocrite recently. His comment went something like this, "Mom, why do you tell us not to play with our food, but it's okay for you to do it!?" My comment back was, "I don't play with our food, I am creative with it!"
 I quickly realized that I needed to further explain the expression, "Don't play with your food." 

Being creative with food is a ton of fun whether you are entertaining children or not. Here are a few fun ideas of how to incorporate Halloween into your meals and snacks.

1. Jack-o-lantern ham and egg white ghosts

A few mornings ago my 2 year old brought me a slab of ham from the fridge. He pushed the ham into my hands and said, "Ham please!" I decided that I would be creative with breakfast and make a jack-o-lantern out of the ham. I used a knife and cut our the shapes. The boys snacked on the pieces while I fried up the rest. I love the texture that is had after I cooked it. I added celery leaves to the top for the finished product.
For some strange reason I can't get this photo to turn, sorry!

I decided that the ham needed a companion. So next came Mr. Egg White Ghost. I drizzled the egg white into the best ghost shape that I could. I don't think it came out too shabby!

I added two dots of ketchup for the eyes. 

One protein packed Halloween breakfast ready to go!

2. Halloween Pizza
Pizza is a staple in our house. It is so easy to make fun shapes out of. I made a ghost and and jack-o-lantern. I made my dough and then shaped it. I cooked the dough for 10 minutes, then I added sauce, cheese and toppings. 




The Ghost looks a little funny because "Bruiser" doesn't like sauce on his pizza. So, the upper half of the ghost is especially for him.

For the jack-o-lantern I put a thin layer of mozzarella cheese, then a cheddar blend to get the orange look.

3. English Muffin Pizzas

These are a great alternative to making a full pizza. You can have all of the toppings in dishes and have kids decorate their own. All of these are jack-o-lanterns except for the mummy made from onions. These are so simple. It consists of english muffins cut in half, pizza sauce, cheese (I used a thin layer of mozzarella with a cheddar blend on top), and your choice of toppings. Stick them in the over at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes.  


4. Licorice Tree

This is an easy project. Simply find a vase or tall container and stick your choice of twizzlers or licorice in it. You may need to bawl up some napkins at the bottom to give them some height. You can use it as decor just set it on the table. It adds lots of character and is edible! 
5. Vampire Donuts

These are super simple and fun. I do not have pictures of the ones that I have made, so I am sending you over to a blogger that has had wonderful success with it.

 6. Vampire shortcake

I was thinking about what other foods you could use the vampire teeth with. Here is my attempt to make vampire shortcake. The picture isn't the greatest, but you can get the idea. I cut a hole in the center of the cake and added the teeth. It started to break a part so I actually cut the teeth in half and stuck them in. I thawed frozen strawberries and added sugar. I poured the mix over a small section of the teeth and cake to look like blood. My seven year old thought it was cool and almost devoured it before I could take pictures! 



I know that there are a few things that I missed. I still have pictures that I need to take and edit. I will continue to add food ideas as they are ready. If there is something specific you are looking for please let me know! 

Have fun "playing with your food!"

Hills

1 comment:

  1. Loved the food ideas and loved the show, keep up the good work.....

    ReplyDelete