Sunday, June 28, 2015

Patriotic Decor

 It's officially summer! Hooray! (Those of us living in New England feared it would never come.)

My favorite part of summer is celebrating the Fourth of July. Parades, picnics, and fireworks are all apart of the fun, but, I fear the reason for the holiday is set aside while the party is taking place.

The actual name of the holiday is Independence day. It commemorates the adoption of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, on July 4, 1776. 

So, as we celebrate, let us remember to be grateful for the freedoms this beautiful country provides. Let us remember to stand united and be proud to be American!

Now, let's talk about ways to decorate for the occasion.

I had a hard time sticking with one "theme" this year. There were several different aspects that I felt passionate about. The historical, cultural/personal, and the trendy aspects were all on my mind. So, I made all three work in our home. We have three locations in the living room in which to decorate. I chose to make each a different theme. 

1. The Historical Aspect


In this set up, I draped the flag over a floating shelf. It is being held up by a tack at the upper grommet. You could put a tack in the lower grommet also, but it held just fine and I like the hanging look. I like how the bottom of the flag hangs down, now I just hope and pray that my kids don't yank on it while sitting on the couch!
I found the painted ceramic piece at Goodwill for $3. George Washington is in the middle with two others on the sides. On the bottom is painted 1776. I was drawn to the piece. I admit that something about it bothered me at first, but I grew to love it. I like how it added the historical reminder to my decor. The bicycle also came from Goodwill for $3. I like the uniqueness of it. 

2. The Cultural/Personal Aspect


I really wanted to incorporate baseball into my decor but wasn't sure how I was going to pull it off. While visiting my parents, I talked to my Nana about it. She told me about her Grandfather, the minor league baseball player. My mom dug out this photo and it all started coming together. The photo is dated June 6, 1915, which makes it 100 years old! I like how it adds an heirloom to the decor.  The story behind it makes it apply to the holiday also. My Great, Great, Grandfather, Robert Siberia Eaves was born while at sea, over the Atlantic Ocean on March 27, 1871. (Can you imagine giving birth on the ocean in wintertime?!) His parents desired the freedoms that the United states offered and moved from England to America. The name of the ship was "The Siberia", which explains his middle name. His nickname was "Si". I am so grateful for the sacrifices that my ancestors made, which made it possible for me to be born in this wonderful country! I am proud to hang his picture in my home!
When I think of baseball, I think peanuts, so naturally I had to incorporate them and the flags help tie the decor themes together.

3. The Trendy Aspect


This display is not my favorite and needs work. It is staying as-is for now though. My favorite piece is the Proud to be American set up. This is one of the first projects I shared on my blog. (view HERE)
I did change the "P" because the kids broke if off and I replaced it with a blue block and stamped a "P" in white paint. It's growing on me, and I think it adds more character. 

I love decorating for the Fourth, it is so much fun! I recently filmed a Fourth of July show for Holiday Fun with Hillary on Amherst Public Access TV. For the show, I blended all of these concepts together into a beautiful display. As soon as I receive those pictures, I will post them.

I hope you all have a great Independence Day, and enjoy the decorating process!

*Hills

No comments:

Post a Comment